[Samba] Windows changes file ownership & ACL's - any solution?

Josh Konkol susesambaboy at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 18 06:25:02 GMT 2002

I'm running SuSE 7.0, Samba 2.2.2 w/Winbind, Pam, on 2.2.20 Kernel w/ACL
Support.

I have just verified that I'm having this same problem.  Exactly.  I saved a
file on a Samba share, then I verified I was the owner.  I then went to a
co-worker's computer and opened, edited, saved the file with M$ Word.  Now
when I look at ownership, it is set to him as the owner and the permissions
are reset.  When I follow the same steps using Notepad, the ownership and
permissions aren't changed.

Here are the settings for my share:

[share]
        comment = Test Winbind Share
        path = /mnt/share
        create mask = 0777
        browseable = Yes
        writeable = yes

Here is the ACL for the file before I edited it with M$ Word.

linux10:/mnt/share # getfacl acltest.doc
# file: acltest.doc
# owner: DOMAIN+$ejwk
# group: DOMAIN+Domain Users
user::rwx
user:DOMAIN+I10201:rwx
group::rw-
mask::rwx
other::rw-

Here is the ACL for the file After I edited it with M$ Word.

linux10:/mnt/share # getfacl acltest.doc
# file: acltest.doc
# owner: DOMAIN+I10201
# group: DOMAIN+Domain Users
user::rwx
group::rw-
other::rw-

How do we work around this problem.

Anyone have any ideas or having the same problems ??

TIA

Josh Konkol