[Samba] Windows changes file ownership & ACL's - any solution?

peter.a.bryant at mainroads.qld.gov.au peter.a.bryant at mainroads.qld.gov.au
Sun Feb 17 19:57:02 GMT 2002

We have a problem with file security settings changing when
a file is edited by someone who is not the owner.

When the edited file is saved, ownership is transferred to the
person who edited the file.  Also, access control settings for the
file are reset to a default setting.

This is a real problem, since in some cases it means that the
original owner of the file no longer has permission to edit the file.

The problem occurs with many applications - Word, Excel, WordPro,
the Star Office editor, but not with Notepad or WordPad.
What seems to happen is that the applications create a copy of the
original document when opening the document.  This copy has the
ownership of the current user and that users default access controls.
When the file is then saved, the original file is deleted and the copy
saved under the original name (along with the different owner and access
properties)
This behaviour seems incorrect to me, but apparently is quite standard
among applications.

I was wondering if there is currently a way to override this behaviour
via Samba?
If anyone else has experienced these problems I would like to hear about it
(even if you didn't get a solution)
Any input is welcome.

(We are currently running Samba 2.0.6 on Solaris 8 servers
   with a mixture of Win NT, 2000 & XP clients.
   Planning on upgrading to latest Samba soon.)

thanks
-peter.

Opinions contained in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect
the opinions of the Queensland Department of Main Roads,
Queensland Transport or National Transport Secretariat, or
endorsed organisations utilising the same infrastructure.
If you have received this electronic mail message in error,
please immediately notify the sender and delete the message
from your computer.