[Samba] win 98, freeze on login/shutdown

James Cameron cameron at fax.sno.cpqcorp.net
Sun Feb 17 23:14:06 GMT 2002

G'day,

I'm helping with an outback community technology centre, six
workstations and a Linux server running Samba.  The six workstations
occasionally freeze during shutdown or login.  I'm wondering how to
diagnose this, as I have very little experience with Windows.  Is this a
Samba problem?

Symptom: clients freeze sometimes, mouse pointer won't move,
Control/Alt/Delete gives no response.  Freeze occurs either during the
last hourglass cursor period once desktop is displayed after login, or
during shutdown, not at any other time.  No network traffic seems to
relate.

If the freeze does not occur, the client is able to log in to the
domain, access file shares and printers.

I've found nothing pertinent in the logs yet.

Tried so far ... everything I could de-install using the Control Panel -
Add/Remove Programs icon, a re-install from Windows 98 CD-ROM.
Curiously, it only happens on the workstation hardware ... Duron 900
boxes.  If I restore the C: drive using rsync onto other hardware, I get
no such freezes.  The hardware runs Linux fine.

The hardware supplier (not Compaq) has no significant experience with
Linux, and is pointing the finger at the server, which I set up as a
community donation.

Server versions: Samba 2.0.7 on Linux 2.2.17, and Samba 2.2.2 on Linux
2.4.17

Client versions: Windows 98 SE only.

Sequence to reproduce freeze: reboot, then hit ESC on domain login
window.

/etc/samba/smb.conf
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from gil-56k-041.tpgi.com.au (202.7.219.41)
# Date: 2001/11/22 11:25:16

# Global parameters
[global]
        server string = %h server (Samba %v)
        interfaces = 10.0.0.1
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spas
sword:* %n\n .
        unix password sync = Yes
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba.log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        time server = Yes
        socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=4096
SO_RCVBUF=4096
        logon script = access.bat
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 34
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        utmp directory = /var/run
        wtmp directory = /var/log
        invalid users = root
        utmp = Yes
        # added 4th february re issue 48 by james
        oplocks = No

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        writeable = Yes