[Samba] Where are libcrypto & libssl?

Carl Benson cbenson at fhcrc.org
Fri Feb 15 11:36:03 GMT 2002

For those lazy individuals like myself who use RPM whenever
possible, I discovered some stuff:

Tarjei pointed me to openssl for the libcrypto.so.3 and libssl.so.3,
and these are in the Rawhide 1.0 distribution, openssl-0.9.6c-2.
(For which, thank you very much!)

However, a simple upgrade won't work, as libcrypto.so.2 and
libssl.so.2 are not included, and losing them breaks several
other RPMs in standard RH7.2.

This is easily avoided by making copies of the libraries,
upgrading openssl stuff, then copying back the old versions
(since the libraries have different names).

Next problem: Samba v2.2.3a requires cups-libs, which requires
libpng.so.3. This is provided by libpng-1.2.1-2 from Rawhide,
but again the old version of libpng.so.2 is needed by many many
RPMs.

The solution is the same -- save the old library, upgrade libpng,
then copy back the old library.

Then finally I upgraded Samba to 2.2.3a successfully. Out of
the box, it STILL does not solve my cross-domain authentication
problem, but I have high hopes that winbind will help here.

--
Carl Benson, PHS UNIX SysAdmin  (206-667-4862, cbenson at fhcrc.org)