[Samba] XP home vs Samba 2.2.3a

Mark Kleine mkleine at mccoytree.com
Fri Feb 15 06:49:05 GMT 2002

I went through this last night with the same setup.

WinXP home is defaulted to use encrypted passwords and it looks like
yours are plain text.

Take a look at the samba docs for ENCRYPTION and WINNT.

There is a registry hack that changes XP to use plain text passwords.
Using regedit, turn the 0 to a 1, reboot the XP box and it should all work.

I'm now researching the way to get the encrypted passwords to work with
XP home.

So far, no luck, but I really haven't tried much.

Good luck - Mark Kleine