[Samba] Windows 2000 performance problem

Roman Rudy rrudy at regents.state.oh.us
Fri Feb 15 06:40:27 GMT 2002

I'm having a problem with the performance of my Windows 2000
professional (sp2) clients.  Copying files both to and from a share is
extremely slow.  For example, I've placed a test group of files of a
variety of sizes, totaling 32MB. on a share.  I can copy these from the
share to my local drive on a Win98 machine in 13 seconds.  The same
operation with my Windows 2000 client takes over 6 minutes.)  I've
experimented extensively with various locking and NT-specific options in
the smb.conf file, but have not been able to discover a configuration
that solves the problem.  My server is a Sun machine running Solaris 2.7
with Samba 2.2.2.  I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can offer!