[Samba] What is the function of nmbd?

Gerald Carter jerry at samba.org
Wed Feb 13 05:46:27 GMT 2002

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Darin DeCounter wrote:

> I've got Samba 2.2.2 installed and running fine on one of our servers
> (RS/6000 AIX 4.3.3 and using NT authentication), however, when I do Test #4
> (from docs/textdocs/DIAGNOSIS.txt) it looks like this:
>
> npssrv{root}#nmblookup -B npssrv _SAMBA_

Should be __SAMBA__

> querying _SAMBA_ on 173.148.200.113
> name_query failed to find name _SAMBA_
>
> The test said I should get back the IP address of our samba server.  I got
> the IP address back, but it also said name_query failed.  Is this wrong?

It didn't give you back you IP address.  I t only said it was querying on
that IP.  Notice thie difference in a successful return:

$ bin/nmblookup -B 192.168.1.78 __SAMBA__
querying __SAMBA__ on 192.168.1.78
192.168.1.78 __SAMBA__<00>

> Also, on Test #5, it returns absolutely nothing (using client name OR
> the IP address).  Our nmbd daemon is running, too.  Again, we're able to
> map and work without any problems, so what is nmbd's purpose...and
> should I be concerned with these 2 tests not giving the expected
> results?  Thanks.

nmbd's purpose is to handle browsing name regsitration and to answer name
resolution queries (among other things).

cheers, jerry