[Samba] What is the function of nmbd?

Darin DeCounter ddecounter at lvrj.com
Tue Feb 12 09:52:12 GMT 2002

I've got Samba 2.2.2 installed and running fine on one of our servers
(RS/6000 AIX 4.3.3 and using NT authentication), however, when I do Test #4
(from docs/textdocs/DIAGNOSIS.txt) it looks like this:

npssrv{root}#nmblookup -B npssrv _SAMBA_
querying _SAMBA_ on 173.148.200.113
name_query failed to find name _SAMBA_

The test said I should get back the IP address of our samba server.  I got
the IP address back, but it also said name_query failed.  Is this wrong?

Also, on Test #5, it returns absolutely nothing (using client name OR the
IP address).  Our nmbd daemon is running, too.  Again, we're able to map
and work without any problems, so what is nmbd's purpose...and should I be
concerned with these 2 tests not giving the expected results?  Thanks.

Darin DeCounter

Atex Assistant System Administrator
Las Vegas Review-Journal
702-387-5230