[Samba] SMB-server from Win2k -> Red Hat Linux 7.2 - Samba 2.2.1a seen in Network Neighbourhood but not browsable

Diembo Linux at deschuen.de
Tue Feb 12 23:05:03 GMT 2002

Hi everyone,

I am new to the list and new to Linux as well as to Samba. I've read quite a
few howtos, man-pages and other docs on samba now. I configured my own
SMB-server with smbd and nmbd. Of course I generated a smb.conf file and my
server is accessible and running on the Linux mashine. I can connect with
smbclient to the Linux-mashine and to the win2k-mashine (hostname and service
are running). So far, so good. But I cannot connect from the win2k-mashine to
the linux-mashine, but I can see it in my Network-Neighbourhood. When I try
the command 'net use h: \\linux\public' I get an error-message (on the
win2k-mashine, telling me that the host deosn't exist). I tried the same
command with 'Linux' insted of 'linux' but it's not written in capitals
anyway (only in the network-neighbourhood of win2k). I have encrypted
passwords turned on in smb.conf.
Besides this there is a ridle for me:
In Linux (KDE 2.2) I have this nice link to 'Samba Configuration' in my
K-Menu. When I try to launch that, my browser doesn't find the page
http://127.0.0.1:901/ . Why does this link want to open this page? Why on
port 901? I thought netbios-shares communicate over ports 137-139 and not
901. How do I get a more user-friendly setup-tool? Well, the last questions
aren't as important as the first ones but I would be very happy if anyone
could answer me one of these many questions, so I don't have to play the role
of htdig on the net myself ;-).

regards,
--
Diembo working @ Linux :-P