[Samba] Authorisation with SWAT?

Steve Meisner smeisner at concentric.net
Sun Feb 10 06:44:07 GMT 2002

Stuart Taylor wrote:

> Please help,
> What is the password that one uses to gain access to SWAT?  I type in
> user 'root' and my root password and all I keep getting is
> "Authentication Failed" abort / retry? This is strange as I do know my
> root password?  I have seen various questions on this theme but I
> haven't been able to sort out an answer from them.  I have down loaded
> Samba 2.2.2/2.2.3/2.2.3a and configure with no options set but all
> give the same problem.  I can get in with the "-a" switch but that's
> no good.  I am running Linux Mandrake 8.0
> Many thanks
> Stuart

Mandrake 8.0 uses xinetd and the distribution's samba config
file'/etc/xinetd.d/swat' is incorrect.  Add this line

server_args     = swat

I don't recall the error message being what you are reporting, so you
might have a firewall or apache config problem as well.

--
SCM Enterprise
smeisner at concentric.net | http://www.concentric.net/~Smeisner