[Samba] How stable is head and when will it be released?

Gerald Carter jerry at samba.org
Sat Feb 9 07:59:02 GMT 2002

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, Tarjei Huse wrote:

> > My philosphy is that Samba should only extend UNIX accounts, not
> > be responsible for them.  The maintaince of a posixAccount entry is beyond
> > our scope.
>
> I kind'a hoped that you'd think differently on this issue when ldap is
> involved. Basicly what happens is that from making samba a tool that you
> can administer you whole network on and also you can get away from the
> old add UNIX user add sambauser too a unified system. I realy wish you
> guys could come around on this.
>
> Anyhow, tough luck I guess. How about making it a config option? Beeing
> able to add the posix part of a sambauser wold make samba far more
> usefull.

I really don't see what the big deal is to wrap around smbpasswd.
Sorry, but I really don't think that Samba internals should be
tied up in this process.

How about this, either myself or someone else (hint , hint) writes
a perl script to wrap creation of the posixAccount and sambaAccount
in a single command.  This way we both get what we want. :-)

We'll work on more mmc support in 3.0

chau, jerry