[Samba] Please assist: rejected the session for name *SMBSERVER with error Not listening on called name

Matt S coexec at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 8 10:21:07 GMT 2002

p750 - Windows 2000 server
satest1 - Redhat Linux 7.2
Samba - 2.2.1a

I have "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft
Networks" disabled and now I cannot connect to the
samba share on satest1 anymore.  I can connect to
another samba server that has share level security.  I
entered the name and IP for p750 in the hosts file and
in the lmhosts file.  I have been searching deja.com (
Damn Google ), samba.org, and yes the O'Reilly book,
no
answers, just recommendations.  I have tried just
about everything that I can think of.   I do not want
to have File and printer sharing enabled (security
reasons plus a much less chatty network).  No, I do
not have a firewall running.  All systems are on the
sam subnet.

Any helpful assistance will be appreciated.

Here is what the log read after I try to map the drive
using the proper user credentials.

[root at satest1 samba]# cat log.p750
[2002/02/08 12:51:20, 3]
smbd/process.c:process_smb(837)
  Transaction 1 of length 137
[2002/02/08 12:51:20, 3]
smbd/process.c:switch_message(650)
  switch message SMBnegprot (pid 1904)
[2002/02/08 12:51:20, 3]
smbd/sec_ctx.c:set_sec_ctx(316)
  setting sec ctx (0, 0) - sec_ctx_stack_ndx = 0
[2002/02/08 12:51:20, 3]
smbd/negprot.c:reply_negprot(349)
  Requested protocol [PC NETWORK PROGRAM 1.0]
[2002/02/08 12:51:20, 3]
smbd/negprot.c:reply_negprot(349)
  Requested protocol [LANMAN1.0]
[2002/02/08 12:51:20, 3]
smbd/negprot.c:reply_negprot(349)
  Requested protocol [Windows for Workgroups 3.1a]
[2002/02/08 12:51:20, 3]
smbd/negprot.c:reply_negprot(349)
  Requested protocol [LM1.2X002]
[2002/02/08 12:51:20, 3]
smbd/negprot.c:reply_negprot(349)
  Requested protocol [LANMAN2.1]
[2002/02/08 12:51:20, 3]
smbd/negprot.c:reply_negprot(349)
  Requested protocol [NT LM 0.12]
[2002/02/08 12:51:20, 3]
libsmb/namequery.c:resolve_lmhosts(733)
  resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name
P750<0x20>
[2002/02/08 12:51:20, 3]
lib/util_sock.c:open_socket_out(869)
  Connecting to 192.168.0.2 at port 139
[2002/02/08 12:51:20, 3]
smbd/password.c:server_cryptkey(1108)
  connected to password server P750
[2002/02/08 12:51:20, 3]
lib/util_sock.c:open_socket_out(869)
  Connecting to 192.168.0.2 at port 139
[2002/02/08 12:51:20, 0]
libsmb/cliconnect.c:attempt_netbios_session_request(838)
  attempt_netbios_session_request: P750 rejected the
session for name
*SMBSERVER with error Not listening on called name
[2002/02/08 12:51:20, 3]
smbd/negprot.c:reply_negprot(433)
  Selected protocol NT LM 0.12
[root at satest1 samba]#

# Lets try it the other way around.
[root at satest1 samba]# smbclient -L p750 -I 192.168.0.2

INFO: Debug class all level = 3   (pid 1720 from pid
1720)
added interface ip=192.168.0.102 bcast=192.168.0.255
nmask=255.255.255.0
added interface ip=127.0.0.1 bcast=127.255.255.255
nmask=255.0.0.0
session request to P750 failed (Not listening on
called name)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Not listening on
called name)

The following command returns the expected output.
nmblookup -A 192.168.0.2
Looking up status of 192.168.0.2
P750               <00> -         B <ACTIVE>
HOME            <00> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>
HOME            <1e> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>
P750               <03> -         B <ACTIVE>
HOME            <1d> -         B <ACTIVE>
..__MSBROWSE__.  <01> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>
ADMINISTRATOR   <03> -         B <ACTIVE>

# My smb.conf

[global]
        workgroup = SATEST1
        netbios name = SATEST1
        netbios aliases = SATEST1
        server string = Samba Server %v - SATEST1
        interfaces = eth0 127.0.0.1
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        security = SERVER
        password server = p750
        lanman auth = no
        username level = 8
        restrict anonymous = Yes
        log level = 3
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1024
        #min protocol = NT1
        name resolve order = lmhosts host lmhosts wins
bcast
        deadtime = 5
        lpq cache time = 0
        max smbd processes = 10
        load printers = No
        show add printer wizard = No
        os level = 10
        lm interval = 900
        preferred master = False
        local master = No
        domain master = False
        dns proxy = No
        case sensitive = no
        preserve case = yes
        short preserve case = yes
        kernel oplocks = yes
        null passwords = no
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY

[logs]
        comment = Apache Http Logs
        path = /usr/local/psa/apache/logs/
        valid users = collector