[Samba] Printing queue problem!

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Fri Feb 8 04:27:03 GMT 2002

This may involve lpd.perms.

I would make lpd.perms a one line file for debugging purposes:

DEFAULT ACCEPT

I am not sure if you have to restart lpd to make the changes take effect.
If that doesn't work, then you may need to change your smb.conf. I don't
know which printing software you are using. I use lprng. I overkill in
my printing share setup but I want to leave nothing to chance. Below is
an example (you don't need the involved print command.

 /usr/bin/lpr -Plp -J'%J' %s;rm %s

would work just fine.

The -J parameter is to get the name of the print file from windows. I
believe that name is the banner parameter which you can send explicitly when
you print from linux. If you use -J, hopefully you won't see the smbxxxxx
name in your print queue.

I don't claim this is perfect or will work just right for you, and so you'll
likely have to fiddle some.

Joel

[lp]
	comment = Raw Printer for Z53
	path = /tmp
	create mask = 0700
	guest ok = Yes
	hosts allow = 192.168.
	printable = Yes
	printing = lprng
 	print command = echo %J %p %s  >>  /tmp/junkJ;\
	               echo This is truncated $a >> /tmp/junkJ;\
                       /usr/bin/lpr -Plp  -J"$a"  %s;\
                       rm %s
	lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -Plp
	lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -Plp %j
	lppause command = /usr/sbin/lpc hold -Plp %j
	lpresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc release -Plp %j
	printer name = lp