[Samba] useradd with "$" character within loginname

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Thu Feb 7 13:17:07 GMT 2002

Josh Konkol wrote:

> If you're creating a machine account you need to specify -m, then it should
> work.

That is for smbpasswd, our 'dr.no' is trying to get adduser to create
the requisite machine account in /etc/passwd

> On Thursday 07 February 2002 05:49, dr.no wrote:
> > any help welcome
> > thanks
>
> how can i tell the useradd(8) command to add an user which contains a "$"
> character within it's loginname?
> it only allows alphanumeric characters for a loginname! i need this "$"
> character
> for the automatic creation of a machine-account for my samba server (PDC).
>
> (smb.conf parameter: add user script = adduser -d /dev/null -s /sbin/nologin
> MACHINENAME$ )
> quoting or escaping "$" does not work. (e.g. adduser NAME\$)
> adduser under linux does not complain about a $, how to solve this problem
> under openbsd?

I understand that certain BSDs 'filter' the username to ensure it
doesn't contain funny chars.  Unfortunetly it bites samba...  See if you
can get some help from the OpenBSD mailing lists.  The other way to do
this is to use HEAD and my 'non unix accounts' feature - which allows
machine accounts without entires in /etc/passwd.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net