[Samba] %U does not work with Win2k

Gary Algier gaa at ulticom.com
Thu Feb 7 12:19:04 GMT 2002

I have discovered that using:
	include = somefile.%U
does not work with Win2k.  It works ok with Win95, Win98, WinNT, but not
Win2k (I don't know about WinXP).  And, yes, Win2k is at SP2.

I have some shares that appear only for some users.  This is controled
by:
	include = /etc/samba/smb.conf.%U
With Win2k the shares appear when the user first connects, but any
attempt to open the share results in an error:
	\\server\share
	The network name cannot be found.
When the user does a refresh it disappears.

Setting log level to a high value does not help.  However, tracing the
process I see that the first time the included file is opened, it
is opened with a name like:
	/etc/samba/smb.user.gaa
Every other time it is opened with:
	/etc/samba/smb.user.nobody

It looks like Samba is forgetting the user ID, but only when the client
is Win2k.

Any ideas for a fix?

--
Gary Algier, WB2FWZ           gaa@@ulticom.com              +1 856 787 2758
Ulticom Inc., 1020 Briggs Rd, Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054      Fax:+1 856 866 2033

         A self-addressed envelope would be addressed "envelope."