[Samba] Password changing with Samba and LDAP

Wolfram Quester wquester at gandalf.physik.uni-konstanz.de
Wed Feb 6 15:01:07 GMT 2002

Hi all!

After the installation of Windows NT we encountered the following
problem and we don't know what to do. I hope someone on this list does.

We use a Samba Server (Version: 2.2.2-2) on a Debian Potato Box with
LDAP-Authentication (OpenLDAP, Version: 2.0.14-1.tldap2). Each time I
log into a Windows NT 4 (SP6, not 3 or 4) client I am told my password
expires today and I should change it. Trying this I get the error
message

"Unable to change the password on this account (C00000BE). Please
consult your system administrator."
(C00000BE=STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_PATH).

I get the same error when I try to change the password during the
session via Ctrl-Alt-Del.  Under Windows I can ping the server and
mount shares using "net use..." I also get the correct profiles and
the profile is written back at logout.

As a normal user on a Linux-client I can change the password using
smbpasswd.

Best regards

Wolfi