[Samba] Re: Samba 2.2.3 Oplock problem...

David Brodbeck DavidB at mail.interclean.com
Wed Feb 6 10:04:08 GMT 2002

My experience sort of parallels this...we had mistakenly put one of our
Access and AutoCAD users on a 10baseT hub that was badly overloaded and
dropping a lot of packets, and we had all kinds of locking-related problems.
We moved him to a 100baseT switch, and all the problems went away.  We
haven't had a single problem with Access or AutoCAD since, even though
oplocks are enabled system-wide.

So in my experience the oplock code *can* work quite well, but you'd better
have a tightly-run network.  It won't abide poor network performance.  I'm
not sure this is strictly a Samba problem, either -- Access had been acting
up on the NT server as well, though AutoCAD didn't seem to.