[Samba] Only one user for a file

Rob Helmer robert at namodn.com
Wed Feb 6 09:03:27 GMT 2002

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 11:17:00AM -0500, Thomas, Daniel J. wrote:
> Actually, in my case the users is going to FTP in to the machine to upload
> or download web content.  This is actually for a sort of club where there
> are officers who should have the ability to create and edit web content,
> club members who need to read certain member only content, and then certain
> other content should be open to read by any user.  Maybe I can do this by
> creating a bunch of groups and assigning groups to certain folders?  I'm not
> familiar with ACL's but I'll look into it.

What you were referring to in a previous post ( NT user/group settings )
is actually known as ACL ( Access Control Lists ).

However, it is possible to create multiple UNIX groups, and treat your groups
as "roles" that one or more users belongs to.

ACLs are quite a bit more flexible than groups ( multiple ownership for
example ), but given enough UNIX groups you can acheive the same
end result as you could using ACLs.

Samba has support for this on Linux, you need to compile it with ACL
support and with winbindd support.

You need to patch your copy of the Linux kernel with the appropriate
version of the Linux ACL patch located here : http://acl.bestbits.at/

Also, read the instructions there for info on how to actually use
the ACLs, expecially the fact that regular tar will not back them up
seamlessly. You need to dump the ACL info and back that up too, or
use star.

HTH,
Rob Helmer