[Samba] Only one user for a file

John Marquart jomarqua at vaixcon.net
Wed Feb 6 08:07:05 GMT 2002

This is a traditional limitation - however many filesystems support ACLs
(Access Control Lists) which allow you to do permissions as you desire -
with multiple users/groups getting a variety of access permissions.  I am
unsure what support there might be in samba for such implementations.

-j

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Thomas, Daniel J. wrote:

> This I think is a limitation of Unix.  In NT we can assign any number of
> users and groups with varied rights to any group of files or folders.  In
> UNIX you can only assign one user and one group to a set of files so either
> one person has control of the file, everyone in a group has control of the
> file, or the world has control of the file.  I wish there was a better way
> to do this because I can think of special cases where you need to do more
> specific things for instance:

John Marquart		|	Experienced UNIX System Administrator
1-812-948-6699		|		  AIX, LINUX, TSM
jomarqua at techie.com	|