[Samba] Only one user for a file

Thomas, Daniel J. Daniel.Thomas at jhuapl.edu
Wed Feb 6 07:46:35 GMT 2002

This I think is a limitation of Unix.  In NT we can assign any number of
users and groups with varied rights to any group of files or folders.  In
UNIX you can only assign one user and one group to a set of files so either
one person has control of the file, everyone in a group has control of the
file, or the world has control of the file.  I wish there was a better way
to do this because I can think of special cases where you need to do more
specific things for instance:
I have a Linux web server.  One of the directories I would like to have
multiple users given Read/write control to so they can edit the web content.
I'd like some of the directories to be read only to certain users and others
to be read to everyone.  I can't really think of an efficient way to do this
with the UNIX OS, but it would be very simple under NT.
-Dan