[Samba] Re: Severe problem with Samba

Martin Rootes M.J.Rootes at shu.ac.uk
Wed Feb 6 05:14:16 GMT 2002

Jeremy,

	further to this e-mail, last wednesday evening (30/01/02) we moved the Samba service to a
more powerful machine (a dual 750MHz processor V880, running Solaris 2.8), running the 2.2.3-
CVS version that I'd downloaded around the 18/12/01. At first everything seemed OK and was
running smoothly, however this was during an 'inter semester gap', and so not much real work
was going on. Then on Monday (04/02/02), when the students started work again all hell broke
loose. We were seeing the same symptoms as previously described but happening far more
often . I had to stop and restart Samba about 4 or 5 times to clear the processes out, after re-
starting the service would be OK for about half an hour and then we'd start getting the build up
again. I attempted various configuration changes, removing quota support, removing strict
locking (not sure why that was set anyway), setting keepalives to 30, all to no avail. Eventually I
compiled and re-installed an old version of Samba (2.0.7) that we had been using successfully in
the past and started up the service using this. Since then we have not had any problems,
yesterday the number of connections peaked at about 1140, the load on the server being a very
respectable 0.4.

	I noticed on the Samba pages that version 2.2.3 has now been officially released, has there
been any changes to this version since December 18? Is there a known problem with any of the
versions post 2.0.7 that might explain these symptoms? Is it simply that each version requires
more resources and so increases load on the system to a point that normal operation breaks
down? Whilst I can run the system on the old version of Samba, I'd prefer to use a later version
as I believe quota support (which ideally we need) was only 'experimental' in 2.0.7. Are they any
crucial things we should be looking at?

	Finally, I've just noticed today that you'll actually be in Sheffield on the 21/02/02 for a Linux
seminar at Hilsborough and then later this very establishment! I would really appreciate it if we
could get together for a chat about the problems we are experiencing, would it be possible to get
an hour or so of your time on that day?

	Martin.

Martin Rootes - Senior Systems Programmer/Analyst, Sheffield Hallam University
Email :         M.J.Rootes at shu.ac.uk                      Phone: 0114 225 3828