[Samba] begginer with Samba

Yan Seiner yan at cardinalengineering.com
Wed Feb 6 05:26:06 GMT 2002

Well, I configured samba to install in samba-2.2.2, so that I could have
both my old 2.0.7 and my new 2.2.2 running side by side.  Then I just
copied the smb.conf to /etc/samba-2.2.2, and restarted the new samba
daemons.  After we got a few bugs out of it, it worked just fine.

Here's my configsmb file:

#!/bin/bash

cd source
rm -f config.cache
make clean
./configure \
    --with-privatedir=/etc/samba-2.2.2/private \
    --with-lockdir=/var/lock/samba-2.2.2/ \
    --with-swatdir=/etc/samba-2.2.2/swat \
    --with-configdir=/etc/samba-2.2.2 \
    --with-codepagedir=/etc/samba-2.2.2/codepages \
    --with-pam \
        --with-syslog \
        --with-smbmount \
    --with-pam_smbpass \
    --with-utmp \
    --with-winbind \
    --prefix=/usr/local/samba-2.2.2 \
    --localstatedir=/var/log/samba-2.2.2 \
    --exec-prefix=/usr/local/samba-2.2.2

YMMV - DON'T use this blindly.  It may not be what you want, but all the
dir settings will put samba into places that won't conflict with any
existing standard samba install.

--Yan