[Samba] [homes] are staying in browselist, 2nd try...

Goetz Rieger goetz.rieger at suse.de
Tue Feb 5 06:04:21 GMT 2002

Hello all,

sorry for trying again, but I don´t know what to do. Here I go again...;-)

I have a problem with the [homes] share. I have a Samba 2.2.2 PDC with W2K SP2 clients. Every user has a home directory (not the Linux home dirs), which is mapped as z: during login to the domain.

When the user logs out and another user logs in, the home-share of the old user is staying in the share list of the PDC in the network neighborhood section of the Explorer. When a third user logs in, the process continues, so after a while there are shares for every user who has logged in.

When I try to access such an usernamed share, I get the contents of the home-dir of the actual logged-in user. So far at least no security problem occurs, but it´s disturbing never the less, especially for the normal user.

smbstatus showed that most of the time (but not always) the smb connections are staying open after log out.

What can I do about that? Have I missed something obvious? Every help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a excerpt from the PDC smb.conf

---------
logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U

[homes]