[Samba] Licensing question: Using Samba in a medical system

Taegert-Kilger Christoph : SSME Christoph.Taegert-Kilger at ssme.siemens.com.cn
Mon Feb 4 22:17:05 GMT 2002

Hello!

We would like to use Samba in a medical system.
It would be used to give to a Windows NT workstation
transparent access to files on a Linux workstation
(file system mapping).
This should be possible by installing Samba without
changing it and as a separate component of the
overall installation.

Our question: In order to fulfill the licensing requirements,
what would we have to give to our end users?
Would a commitment in the user manual according to
section 3b) of the GPL (commitment to provide the
sources on request) do, or would we have to take other
steps?

In particular: Would we have to reveal any details of source code
of other components of the systems than Samba?

With kind regards,
    Christoph.

Christoph Taegert-Kilger
Software Project Manager