[Samba] Named Pipe

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Fri Feb 1 21:14:03 GMT 2002

Markus Wenke wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I try to port a Windows-Server-Application to Linux (without GUI).
> The Windows-Application can be administrate via "NamedPipe" over
> network (\\servername\pipe\<pipename>) with a Client.
>
> I want that the Linux-Application can be administrate via NamedPipe,too.
> without changes in the Client.
>
> Is it possible with samba, or something other?

This is somthing that has been the pet aim of Luke Leighton.  So much so
that he forked samba for your benifit :-).  (Ok, there is *much* more to
it than that - but samba-tng.org claims to provide a very easy way for
named-pipe users to plug into NT Named Pipes.)

Becouse of the work involved in maintaining a seperate version of Samba
on incresingly small amounts of time, there has been a great deal of
interest in enabling some form of 'plugablity' in Samba 3.0 - so that
application developers like yourself can make a loadable module and
'plug in' to the NamedPipes services that Samba provides.  (This implies
your application is GPL-compatible).

The final touch that the Samba-TNG guys want to see is a 'glue pipes'
module that allows you to create an independent deamon and have Samba
call you over a domain socket.

I would suggest that look at how Samba-TNG works, and follow Samba 3.0's
developments in this area.  Depending on your target market, a
dependency on Samba-TNG may or may not be an issue.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net