[Samba] vs W95

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Sun Dec 29 17:31:02 GMT 2002

This is your first samba installation, so, I would think about your
smb.conf.
Why don't you post it?
What do you see with tcpdump during the interaction?
The smb.conf entries below let my windows98 boxes log on as a guest user
without difficulty:

# Global parameters
[global]
        encrypt passwords = yes
	netbios name = HAMMER2
	interfaces = 192.168.0.2
	security = SHARE
	log level = 3
	guest account = ftp
	strict sync = Yes

[AllFiles]
	comment = All Files
	path = /
	read only = no
	guest ok =  yes

To get rid of all pesky permissions problems, try making guest account =
root. (You do have a guest account, don't you?) Since I don't use passwords,
I can't tell you much about smbpasswd, but, you may need to add some users
with it.

Joel