[Samba] Win98 clients not 'seeing' each other

Sergey Klusov shy at geoseis.t72.ru
Thu Dec 26 13:56:01 GMT 2002

Hello Carlos,

>> > I've setup the Samba server over Linux to act as a PDC for the domain. I
>> > use dhcp to assign the network configuration to the hosts, and the only
You should setup DHCP server to anounce samba server as WINS server to
all hosts
if you are using ISC-DHCPD then add this lines into dhcpd.conf

#======================
option netbios-name-servers 123.456.789.012;
#                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
#                            put your ip here
option netbios-node-type 8;
#======================

if your DHCP is Microsoft's, then setup the scope accordingly

also, make sure nmbd is running as well on samba box

and one last thing - make sure there are this lines in your smb.conf:

wins support = yes
os level = 64
preferred master = yes
domain master = yes