[Samba] oplocks and samba 2.2.7

Keith G. Murphy keithmur at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 13 18:49:16 GMT 2002

Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 09:48, Jean-Paul ARGUDO wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I really know you'll tell me it is not an issue from Samba nor a matter
>>of topic in this list.
>>
>>But. I have problems with oplocks, surely because of my version:
>>Version 2.2.3a-12 for Debian I noticed it all in bug 26128 and posted
>>here precisions, few days ago.
>>
>>Version 2.2.3a-12!!!??? YES, this is the *stable* version from Debian.
>

> And it may contain lot of fixes that are in newer samba releases.
> I'm not saying they do, but I've seen a number of vendors that fixes
> packages but maintain older version to keep dependencies toward other
> packeags or such.

What Debian actually did was backport the security fixes in 2.2.7 into
2.2.3a-12 (they weren't present in 2.2.3a-6).

>>What would I do? Install newer version (2.2.7,afaik), then corrupt my
>>system? Or wait for Samba team to put 2.2.7 in the stable?
>

> with 2.2.7a you will not corrupt your system, however it seem strange
> debian does not upgrade to 2.2.7a as from 2.2.2-2.2.6 there a possible
> security problem, have you the security team url in your apt source
> list?

See above.

Oddly enough, I got oplock problems when I upgraded from 2.2.3a-6 to
2.2.3a-12, whereupon I filed a bug and downgraded.

The Debian maintainer assured me nothing had been done but security
backports; so I upgraded again and crossed my fingers.  I just noticed I
got some oplock errors day before yesterday, so time to downgrade again
and watch.