[Samba] Migrating Samba PDC to new machine (with different name)

Michael Ingoldby michael at ingoldby.net
Fri Dec 13 17:13:00 GMT 2002

The machine we are currently using as our existing PDC is getting old
and tired, so we have built a new machine and are attempting to migrate
users across to the new machine. However, since there can only be one
PDC on a network, this involves an "all nighter" moving users profiles
across to the new machine and then cranking it up as the PDC.

Everything appeared to go well until we started up the first bunch of
machines using the new machine as the PDC and got the following Error
Message.

"The system cannot log you on to the domain because the systems computer
account in its primary domain is missing or the password on that account
is incorrect"

After some research we found an article on the net about setting up a
Samba BDC and so we did the "smbpasswd -S domain_name" to try and copy
the domain's ID across to the new machines.

However, this still yielded the same result when new machines started up
on the new domain server.

Has anyone successfully moved the PDC from one machine to another in the
same domain?

Can you give us some tips?

Extra Info:
- The new machine has different Unix IDs for the Machine and User
accounts than the old one did.
- The new machine now uses LDAP to store the Unix Usernames but we are
still using PAM for samba to lookup the UserUIDs and are still using
smbpasswd for storing Samba Usernames and Passwords.
- The Unix UIDs are now a bit higher. User Accounts in LDAP start at
about 1,000.
- The machine accounts (blah$) are local (/etc/passwd) accounts and
start at 10,000.
- Once a win2k machine was was remove from the domain, machine account
removed then readded to samba new_pdc and then win2k added back into
domain, logins worked perfectly.

Thanks in advance
--
Michael Ingoldby