[Samba] What project should I use ?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Dec 12 04:42:01 GMT 2002

Phil,

One of the things that really spooked me while doing my benchmark tests is
the impact made by the file system type. I forgot to make mention of that
in my reply.

Ext2fs is by far the fastest file system on Linux. Ext3fs is the slowest,
ReiserFS is in between them. One of the things I want to do soon is to
benchmark XFS and JFS against Ext2fs and Ext3fs.

In tests done recently Ext2fs gives more than 3 times the write I/O
throughput of Ext3fs. This should not be construed as critical of Linux
file systems, but when one is chasing every ounce of I/O and the file
system type becomes a bottleneck then it does matter.

PS: This also becomes more critical as the number of Samba users with
concurrent write access exceeds 20.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra