[Samba] Re: Samba with Mysql as backend and VIRTUAL users.

Jacob Anawalt anawaltaj at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 10 21:34:50 GMT 2002

Alex,

It sounds like you are trying to do w/ the mysql database what some
organizations have done with NIS/YP or are doing with LDAP or MS Directory
Services. If you are using a system that includes PAM, you can reconfigure
your system to look to sources other than the password file for username
lookups.

I looked into this, toying with the idea of using LDAP to sync all my server
accounts and samba logins. There were modules to do this, but it seemed a
bit daunting for the few user accounts I was worried about. Perhaps it wont
be much longer before this process becomes more polished and the
documentation is refined.

Anyway, I've seen smb.config files that talk about syncing unix and samba
username/passwords. I've also read about the difference between unix
passwords and windows passwords and why in the LDAP structure there is a
space for the unix password and for the samba password, but I dont remember
the details now.

So, my suggestion is to look into samba with LDAP (lightweight directory
access protocol) and PAM (pluggable authentication module), or at least
samba with PAM and authenticating to a mysql db (google had a few hits w/
samba pam mysql). You may also want to look into stunnel or some ssh setup
so the mysql transactions for password lookups aren't in the clear. The LDAP
client is able to be configured to verify against SSL certificates to know
that the LDAP server is valid.

news:3DF61A7F.6090304 at softhome.net...