[Samba] FreeBSD as a PDC

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Dec 10 17:23:01 GMT 2002

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, [iso-8859-1] João Paulo Just Peixoto wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I was using Samba 2.2.5 on a Linux machine as a PDC and it was working fine.
> But know I installed FreeBSD 4.7 in this machine and installed Samba
> 2.2.6pre2. It's still working as a PDC, but I can't add machine trust
> accounts because FreeBSD doesn't accept $ in its usernames. How should I do
> now?

A work-around is:

1. Add the machine account without the trailing '$'
2. Then edit the /etc/passwd (and if you have shadow passwords enabled
also the /etc/shadow file) by adding a trailing '$' to the login id.
3. Add your machine to the smbpasswd file by using:
	smbpasswd -a -m 'machine_name'

This should get you past the road block.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org