[Samba] typical performance on 10mbit switched network

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Fri Dec 6 22:59:00 GMT 2002

I've never been happy with my samba box's network performance.....

I see about
60K/s between
1 client and my samba server

the load average on the server is nearly 0
and it's reading from an ide raid5
so i don't think that's a bottleneck.

I'm running samba 2.2.7 with

  socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192

and log level 2
(i know it's a bit high, but i'm transferrring big files so i don't
think this is the problem)
i've used smbcontrol pid debug 0 to test that - no obvious effect.

I don't think there is a network problem since I've tried switching to a
different ethernet port with no effect.

i'd like to see performance of something like
300K/s  instead of 60

10000000/8 = 1.25MB/s
so i should get at least a quarter of that right?

(the server is on a full duplex port, the client is half duplex)

i get about 350K/s via ftp between the same machines

how can i improve samba's performance

brad

brad

--