[Samba] Printing from samba to W2K

Freeman, Peter (ERHS) Freeman.Peter at saugov.sa.gov.au
Wed Dec 4 02:36:00 GMT 2002

>Is there a way to print from Samba to a W2K shared printer as
>it does with Win9x

As far as I know you could just print straight to a share using
SMB printing, however there are much better ways of doing this
with W2k clients.

Setup TCP/IP Print Services on the W2k client, make sure it's
set to auto start, then share the printer as normal, and connect
to the W2k share using LPR instead of SMB.  It's much more
bulletproof, well we have found it to be anyway, and you don't have
differences in print setup between shared printers on workstations
and printers with builtin NICs (ie: jetdirect printers).  They all
use LPR that way...

HTH