[Samba] Authenticating users over samba

Nick Couchman nick at seakr.com
Fri Aug 30 04:20:01 GMT 2002

If you want to try to use winbind, this might work.  I haven't had too much
luck with winbind, but you can give it a shot.  You'll need to go back and
recompile samba on your clients, specifying the "--with-winbind" option.  Then
you'll want to have a look at some of the documentation files.  Look in the
doc/textdocs directory of the untarred samba source file.  You should find
something with winbind in the name.  That will give you instructions on what
changes you need to make to your samba configuration, PAM configuration, and
NSS configuration.

--Nick

Kovar Jan wrote:

> Hello.
> I am administrating about 30PCs with W2K and users are authenticated in
> SAMBA running as PDC on Linux. About 16PCs have the possibillity to boot
> also into Linux. I would like to authenticate also linux users using the
> samba, because I do not want to copy passwd, group, shadow each time I add a
> user, or even add the user on each PC. I do not use LDAP a do not know NIS.
> Is it possible to use samba for such a thing? Any tips?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jan Kovar
> --

You can't make a difference until you are willing to be different.
--
Nick Couchman
SEAKR Engineering