[Samba] username with spaces

sousa.hugo at adlittle.com sousa.hugo at adlittle.com
Wed Aug 28 05:29:01 GMT 2002

Hi all,

I'm trying to connect to a home share from a Windows XP box ... the user
name I'm using it's -> Hugo Sousa
I'm have the same password on the Linux system as well on the smbpasswd
and on the XP system ...

When I try to connect to the smb server ... I don't have problems. I can
see all shares ...
When I try to enter MY home directory I'm prompted for a password and a
username .... and I try anything and it doesn't work.

I already checked the linux file permissions and everything is ok.

If I use another user, let us say, "administrator", it works just fine ...

This is a part of my smb.conf

==============================
[homes]
     comment = Area Pessoal
     browseable = no
     writable = yes
     valid users = %S

I commented the line "valid users = %S", and it worked... I'm able to
logon in to my home directory called "hugo sousa" with the user name from
the XP box "Hugo Sousa"...

Is there any problem or bug with using usernames with spaces?

Am I making anything wrong?

Thanks,
Regards,
Hugo Sousa