[Samba] w2k and samba, printer properties hourglasses forver after driver upload + OK

daniel.jarboe at custserv.com daniel.jarboe at custserv.com
Mon Aug 26 05:24:00 GMT 2002

Bummer.  That sounds a little different, but I think I've had your
problem too with a different printer.  A few weeks ago I tried
installing a different printer which I had to install the drivers from
disk, and gibberish came out, and spooler and explorer would often die
(but not always).  If I printed a windows test page, windows would
report it was successful, the layout would be about the same (when it
lists the drivers, etc), but the text would be wingdingish instead of
the proper characters.  If i managed to print something from an
application, it would appear wingdingish again.

In this case, however, the properties window hangs much earlier in the
process, and when I do attempt to print a test page windows tells me the
test print failed.  I thought maybe applying the patches may have had
something to do with it, so I rolled back to the regular 2.2.5-1 RPM
from samba.org, but got the same problems.  The weird thing about the
hourglass is it makes me think that the windows client is waiting for
some kind of response from samba but never gets it.  But I have no idea.

The only luck I've had with uploading print drivers from w2k is by using
drivers provided by the windows installation, but there's lots of
printers not covered [:(] .  Printer admin was able to upload the
drivers without incident in both cases to their w2k print-server.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one, though.
~ Daniel