[Samba] help with samba

Christopher Burger chris at MCKINLEYPRODUCTS.COM
Thu Aug 22 05:16:08 GMT 2002

I have installed Red Hat Linux and then installed Samba.  I about 20
client pc set up with various versions of windows from 98 to xp.  The
problem I have is this.

I can see Linux server called "SERVER" but when I try to access it, it
tells me it can't find it.  I'm sure I have the shares set up correctly.
If I ping the machine with it's ip number ie PING 192.168.1.254 I get a
response.  However if I ping using the netbios name ie PING SERVER it
comes back and tells me it cannot find host name SERVER.  I believe this
is why I can not connect to the samba server, and this may be more of a
windows networking problem than a samba problem.  But any help would be
appreciated.

Christopher Burger