[Samba] locking db corruption with 2.2.5?

Robert Stuart Robert.Stuart at qsa.qld.edu.au
Wed Aug 21 20:19:28 GMT 2002

Hi,

We are currently experiencing this problem.  I have taken a copy of the
/var/cache/samba/ dir (containing locking.tdb) and a copy of the log of
one of the affected terminal servers (all seem to be affected) and a
copy of smbstatus.

I can test a couple of things or email them to someone if anyone can
point me in the right direction...
the locks list of the smbstatus is showing many lines that are "ok", but
also include these:

29174  DENY_NONE  0x120089    RDONLY     NONE             j^X   Thu Aug
24676  DENY_NONE  0x120089    RDONLY     NONE             j^X   Thu Aug
8212   DENY_NONE  0x120089    RDONLY     NONE             j^X   Thu Aug
9015   DENY_NONE  0x20089     RDONLY     NONE             j^X   Thu Aug

I don't think myself or Adam have pointed it out, but I suspect that
when samba checks a file against the locking db and finds one of these,
it seems to think that the file it is looking for is locked ie users
sometimes have problems opening/saving files now that definitely aren't
locked.  They can sometimes save it on another share, but that doesn't
always work.

We do have some long path names for some files, users sometimes create
large trees, could this be an issue?

Any ideas?

--
Robert Stuart