[Samba] Access WinNT Shared Printer for users of Samba but not on WinNT machine

Gagneet Singh gagneet at acmet.com
Tue Aug 20 23:29:01 GMT 2002

Hi!

We have just installed a Linux machine in our organization. (Current File &
Print server is WinNT).

The WinNT machine has a local printer (HP 1200 series) attached to it. For
the new entries we have given them authentication access from the Samba
server. My SMB.CONF file is given below. They logon to the ACTLINUX
workgroup for authentication. Two conditions occur here.
            a) They can type any password and the SAMBA machine
authenticates them. ??
            b) When they try to print to the WinNT shared printer,
(configured on the Samba machine with a username and password available on
the WinNT machine.) they get a popup box asking for their assword to access
the printer share. ??

We have a small network with no subnets and the two workgroups are ACT and
ACTLINUX (the second containg the Samba server only, as of now). ACT is on
WinNT (HP eSeries machine) and ACTLINUX is on Red Hat 7.2 distribution
installed machine. Both are on the same subnet of  (192.168.14.x) with WinNT
having IP 192.168.14.1 and Linux 192.168.14.125.

Please help specially on the Password Issue is it a problem because I am
using Security level as SHARE and if that is not to be used how do i give
access to users for the individual shares created.

Thanx

Gagneet

My smb.conf file is given below.

# Global parameters
[global]
         workgroup = ACTLINUX
         netbios name = BACKUP
         server string = Samba Server [Version: %v]
         security = SHARE
         encrypt passwords = Yes
         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
         max log size = 0