[Samba] load balancing CIFS/Samba

James Bagley Jr jabagley at cvs.agilent.com
Tue Aug 20 13:34:01 GMT 2002

Blue,

It's been a while since i've worked with it, but I thought Windows would
fall back to broadcasting for netbios names only uses dns if the broadcast
fails.

The resolution order is something like (assuming an H-node):

	Check to see if it is the local machine name.
	Try the WINS Server
	Try broadcasting
	Check the LMHOSTS file
	Try the HOSTS file and then DNS

I suppose you could try killing 'nmbd' (the netbios name resolver) on the
samba servers to force the netbios name broadcast to fail and the clients
to fall back on DNS names.  This seems an awfull lot like a hack to me,
but could feasibly work in some warped fashion.

Even if it does work, your clients will have a long timeout period while
they flood your network with broadcast traffic before falling back to DNS.

--
James Bagley			|           CDI Innovantage
james_bagley at non.agilent.com	| Technical Computing UNIX Admin Support