[Samba] samba 2.2.5 and WinXP

Brian Beaver beaverb at nexus.dmsc.k12.ar.us
Tue Aug 20 08:11:01 GMT 2002

I'm setting up a redhat7.3 box for a school, whose sole purpose in life is
to provide a large disk space for educational software packages.  These
packages total about 10GB, which means the old Netware server isn't an
option.  The school received a grant and bought their teachers new
computers with XP Pro on 'em (replacing Win3.11).

Since they use Client32 on a NW4.11 box, I'm trying to set up this samba
server to be only a workgroup type share.  I can see the Samba server in
the network, but all attempts to connect to it fail.  I turned off
ipchains (temporarily) on the box and was able to get a login prompt, but
nothing logs in.

I only need the XP workstations to connect to (essentially) a large CD
type share to run these cybered programs on the local network.  Do I have
to enable PDC domain on the Samba server?  They've already got a Netware
4.11 Client32 login to deal with -

Thanks,

Brian Beaver
DMEC