[Samba] unable to join domain

Kratunis, Anthony akratunis at tiaa-cref.org
Mon Aug 19 10:00:01 GMT 2002

I have read several requests about this topic, but no solid solutions.
Here's another request.

I am attempting to have my solaris 8 samba 2.2 server join the NT domain.  I
kill the samba daemons, and issue the command, as indicated in the
instructions:

	smbpasswd -j DOM -r PDC-DOM -U admin

it prompts for password, which I enter
but I get the message back

	unable to join domain DOM

My NT team says they think samba is trying to connect via the anonymous
account, which they have disabled for security reasons.    As a test of this
theory, I attempted connecting to our TEST NT domain which does NOT have
anonymous disabled, and it worked.

	smbpasswd -j DOMTEST -r PDC-TEST -U admin
it prompts for password, which I enter
	joined domain DOMTEST

Does anyone have any insights on this?  Is Samba using anonymous to try to
create the connection?  is there a work around?
thanks
anthony

This message, including any attachments, contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies.  You are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.
TIAA-CREF