[Samba] unable to join domain

Nick Couchman nick at seakr.com
Mon Aug 19 10:29:00 GMT 2002

When I join a samba box to a domain, here's what I do.  First, I go to an NT server and pull up the server manager.  I add the box in the server manager and re-sync the domain.  Then I go to the samba box, shut down samba and run the command "smbpasswd -j DOM -r DOM-PDC" without a username.  As long as it's the first time the box has attempted to join it will complete successfully and change the machine info on
the NT domain.  We also have our anonymous access disabled for security purposes.

--Nick

"Kratunis, Anthony" wrote:

> I have read several requests about this topic, but no solid solutions.
> Here's another request.
>
> I am attempting to have my solaris 8 samba 2.2 server join the NT domain.  I
> kill the samba daemons, and issue the command, as indicated in the
> instructions:
>
>         smbpasswd -j DOM -r PDC-DOM -U admin
>
> it prompts for password, which I enter
> but I get the message back
>
>         unable to join domain DOM
>
> My NT team says they think samba is trying to connect via the anonymous
> account, which they have disabled for security reasons.    As a test of this
> theory, I attempted connecting to our TEST NT domain which does NOT have
> anonymous disabled, and it worked.
>
>         smbpasswd -j DOMTEST -r PDC-TEST -U admin
> it prompts for password, which I enter
>         joined domain DOMTEST
>
> Does anyone have any insights on this?  Is Samba using anonymous to try to
> create the connection?  is there a work around?
> thanks
> anthony

> This message, including any attachments, contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies.  You are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.
> TIAA-CREF

You can't make a difference until you are willing to be different.
--
Nick Couchman
SEAKR Engineering