[Samba] Pause in file transfers while printing,

Zieba Pete Pete at Fenton100.org
Mon Aug 19 07:09:01 GMT 2002

I'm sending this out again because although I know what causes the problem
now, I'm still not sure what to do about it . . .

Zieba Pete wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm running Slack 8.1 and Samba 2.2.4. The mp3 I'm playing off of the
> server, or anything else realtime for that matter, pauses when a print job
> is sent to the box. I'm printing to a small cheap print server that takes
> lpr.

---
Samba operates on a single thread model, per client.  The client decides
how many connectons to make, and windows always uses just one.

As such, all other operations on that connection *will* block while we
print - particulary if the remote print server blocks.

It may be possible to 'background' the print process (by twiddleing the
print command) but I don't know what implications that might have.

Andrew Bartlett
Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net

How exactly would I go about backgrounding the print process?

Specs:
PII 450MHz
160 MB RAM
Slackware 8.1 - samba-2.24-i386-3, using lprng that comes with Slack 8.1

smb.conf:
[colorgecko]
    create mode=1777
    printable=yes
    path=/vol3/spool/hp2000
    writable=yes
    public=yes
    print command=/usr/bin/lpr -P%p %s
;****END OF SMB.CONF****

printcap:
colorgecko:lp=/dev/null:rm=10.0.0.12:rp=PORT1:sd=/vol3/spool/hp2000:sh
;****END OF PRINTCAP****

lpd.conf:
force_localhost@
;****END OF LPD.CONF****