[Samba] wierd performance problem

Sam Barasch barasch at biostat.wisc.edu
Thu Aug 15 09:40:01 GMT 2002

Distinguished Ladies & Gentlemen of the Samba list, I implore you to read
further.

We have two samba servers, on one of them we have a strange problem.  After
logging in and mapping network drives, if you open 'my computer' the
machine hangs for 15-20 seconds before showing local and network drives.

On our other samba server, we don't have this problem.

As far as I can tell, the only difference is the IPC$ share.  PCs that log
in to the domain with the performance problem get the following error
message when trying to open \\server\ipc$ from the 'run' menu:

\\server\ipc$ is not accessible.

network access is denied.

My suspicion is that win2k machines try to access ipc$ and get denied, then
wait for a timeout, and display the network drives to the best of their
ability (accurately & completely BTW)

Any advice or commiseration you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

---
Sam Barasch
Computer Systems Support