[Samba] Win2000/share browsing performance problem

David Arnold davida at e-commatrix.com
Thu Aug 15 09:51:36 GMT 2002

I've got a strange performance problem with Windows 2000 and Samba
2.2.3a that doesn't seem related to the June/July performance threads.

I have two shares, 'r' and 's':
'r' is 8.4GB in 27,000 files, mostly generic crap like drivers, zip
files, etc.
's' is 12.7GB in 10,000 files, almost all Photoshop, Illustrator and
Pagemaker files.

When I browse these shares using explorer in win 98 or win 2000, no
problems.
When I browse these shares using the Outlook file attach dialog, the 's'
share locks Outlook for up to half an hour, and network traffic goes
through the roof.  The 'r' share does not do this in Outlook.

I happened to be setting up a new Win 2000 PC for someone, so I
installed the OS and office, and the 's' share works great for
attachments.  Install Photoshop, and things go downhill fast.  Install
illustrator, and you'd better have a good novel handy.

Does anyone know why I'm seeing this behaviour with Adobe apps using
2.2.3a Samba shares?

D.

--
David S. Arnold
Senior Systems Engineer, e-commatrix.com
davida at e-commatrix.com