[Samba] Newbie problem with smbmount & >2GB files

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Thu Aug 15 04:23:01 GMT 2002

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Sear, Mick wrote:

> Thanks Urban,
>
> This isn't a mission-critical server, or public facing - I'm wondering if I
> should just upgrade to kernel 2.5 - Do you think this would solve my
> problem?  I've never re-compiled a kernel before - only upgraded with an
> RPM, which was ahiry enough for me...  A 2GB file size limit seems like a
> fairly major problem - seems odd to me that this fix hasn't been built into
> kernels and Samba before now.  Is there something else I need to know?!  I
> upgraded Samba to 2.2.5-1, by the way - Do I still need to recompile that?

2.5 includes the changes for 2G support in smbfs. You need to be aware
that it may crash, burn and/or eat your files. But if that does not scare
you then please test it.

The negotiation patch was sent for the 2.2 samba CVS tree, but I don't
know if it is in yet. 2.2.5 still needs the patch (don't know about
2.2.5-1, because that is an rpm and is not necessarily the same as the
2.2.5 source).

Lot's of people never use files larger than 2G. Requests for supporting it
in smbfs is fairly new. Going back further the kernel interfaces didn't
even allow 2G files on 32bit hardware (lseek, read, write). I think it was
with kernel 2.2 and glibc 2.2 that support for it started to be common.

/Urban