[Samba] Newbie problem with smbmount & >2GB files

Sear, Mick msear at epson.co.uk
Thu Aug 15 03:02:00 GMT 2002

Thanks Urban,

This isn't a mission-critical server, or public facing - I'm wondering if I
should just upgrade to kernel 2.5 - Do you think this would solve my
problem?  I've never re-compiled a kernel before - only upgraded with an
RPM, which was ahiry enough for me...  A 2GB file size limit seems like a
fairly major problem - seems odd to me that this fix hasn't been built into
kernels and Samba before now.  Is there something else I need to know?!  I
upgraded Samba to 2.2.5-1, by the way - Do I still need to recompile that?

Thanks for your help,
Mick

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Sear, Mick wrote:

> If I use smbmount and copy a file > 2GB in size, I get an error: "8720
File
> Size Limit Exceeded"
>
> I'm using kernel 2.4.18 (smp) with Redhat 7.3.
>
> Can anyone help me with this?

smbfs in the 2.4 kernels does not support files larger than 2G.

To get around that you will have to rebuild both samba and the kernel from
source. There are patches on this page:

http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/

There is one that adds LFS to smbfs in 2.4.18, and one that makes smbmount
negotiate large files. You need both of them (plus the codepage patch for
2.4.18) and apply them to the respective source trees. Build & install and
it should work.

There are some more details on the webpage.
For details on how to build kernels see the howto's on
http://www.tldp.org/

/Urban