[Samba] PDC roaming profiles and templates

Goetz Rieger goetz.rieger at suse.de
Wed Aug 14 01:10:01 GMT 2002

Hey,

On 12 Aug 2002 21:16:34 +0200
Lollingola <lollingola at online.de> wrote:

I´ve tried it myself.

-created a user "template"
-logged in to a workstation, modified the background color to red, logged
out
-logged in as administrator
-copied and changed perms of the profile with "System" to user test. On
the first try, it only created the directory "test", on the second run it
copied the content
-logged in as "test", background red, changed background to blue, logout,
login, background blue
-checked permissions on the profile. ntuser.dat, ntuser.dat.LOG and
ntuser.ini have "test" as owner, the other files/directories in the
profile dir have "administrator" as owner but "test" has full access in
the ACLs.

That leads to the question: Do you use ACLs? ;-)

Götz

> >> and use roaming profiles. But now my problem: I want several
> >> "template"
> >> profiles. I want to use several different pre-configured
> >> base-profiles.
>
> > at least with NT 4.0 you have to copy your default profile to a new
> > user
> > with "System" from the "Control Panel" to get the permissions of the
> > files
> > and the registry entries in NTuser.dat right.
>

> Ok. Now I have done the following:
>
> 1) Configured a new template (with a red background) in the domain
> 2) logged in as "root" (who is in the admin group) in the domain
> 3) system -> control panel -> user profiles -> select template -> copy
> to: \\fserver\profiles\foobar -> ok
> 4) useradd and smbpasswd for user "foobar"
> 5) chown foobar.users /mnt/profiles/foobar -R (/mnt/profiles is my
> profile-folder)
> 6) log in as "foobar" in the domain
> 7) set background from red to green/black/whatever ..
> 8) log out and in  ->  background is set back to red (!) again.
>
> In conclusion this is the same effect as before when I tried to copy the
> profile with a simple "cp" :(
>
> Furthermore I've tried to delete the ntuser.dat, ntuser.dat.LOG,
> ntuser.ini and even \"template-profile"\Anwendungsdaten\Identities\*
> (dont know exactly how this folder is called in english) files on my
> linux-box.
> Nothing helped. Obviously windows uses the local stored ntuser.dat files
> then, but if I delete this, I'm not able to select the template for a
> copy process anymore.
>
> I've tried for hours now don't now any further.
>
> Again I thing something like this _should_ work and I dont know, why it
> does not ...
> Any help would be welcome.
>

> Greetings
> Christian Kuhn
>
> --

Goetz Rieger
SuSE Linux AG                                 Professional Services
Geschaeftsstelle Rhein-Ruhr                   Phone: +49 2241 92917-39
Marie-Curie-Str. 11-17, D-53757 St. Augustin  Fax:   +49 2241 314599